Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Not such an innocent face?



Some of you may recall that Michael recently switched jobs. We both prayed about it and felt really good about it. We knew that he would be cutting his salary in half.....until things pick up. This meant that I may have to go back to work for a while to help pay the bills. I figured I have experience dispatching and so that is what I looked for. Pinal County just happened to be hiring and so I applied. It is always a long process to get hired and today I had the privilege of taking part in a "truth test". It was more-or-less a lie detector test using your voice frequency. I hate those things, because I don't know that they actually work. But, that has never been the issue.

The questions start off simple. "Is your name Sarah Dianne Bast?" "Yes", I reply. "Do I have a mustache?" Another yes is heard from my mouth. But these questions become more and more personal. "Have you ever tried cocaine or any other drug?" I truthfully reply, "No." The test continues until finished and the Sergeant then reviews the test looking a little confused. At least that is the impression coming my way.

"It's just really strange," he says to me while rubbing his chin and staring at the computer monitor. "Your voice seemed really stressed on every question."

I crinkle my nose and respond, "Really?"

The Sergeant smoothly tips his chair to the reclining position and looks at me over the rim of his glasses. "Now, are you sure you have never been to a party when you were in high school where other kids were taking drugs or drinking?"

"Yes. I am pretty sure. If they were, I was oblivious to the fact."

To quickly finish the story, he looks at me and proceeds to ask if I am mormon. Of course I said yes and he continued to tell me that he had partied with plenty of mormons as a juvenile who were not innocent of such behavior. I think I have had every person at every "truth test" question me about the fact that I have never tasted one drop of alchohol or tried any type of drug. How could this be? So rare, it must be, to not have succumed to the temptation.

He did not even tell me if I passed or failed, which does not matter to me. All that matters is that I know I told the truth, whether or not they want to believe. I figure no one can trust a face like that, right?

P.S. for those of you that saw the previous picture of me...I had to change it. I think I looked like a member of "KISS".

6 comments:

PBM&C said...

Show 'em what you're made of sis! You rock!

Unknown said...

I wonder how rare it really is... I never have done any of those things. It was never of interest to me at all. I like remembering what I've done. My husband wasn't a member in his youth and he too never had a desire to try any of it. It makes me wonder if people who have just can't believe that people could be stronger than them and withstand temptation. While to us, it was just never a temptation in the first place so there was nothing to withstand. Who know? It makes me wonder though. :) Sorry about the babbling!

Aimee said...

Sarah,
Thanks for leaving a comment and letting me know you're out there! So how in the heck have you kept up with Janyece all these years? I was just wondering what you looked like as I was reading your comment on my blog and it didn't take me long to find out! Thanks for the post and the great picture!
I'll be checking in on you in the future.
Aimee
There's a few other blogs from the ward I don't think Janyece checks.
April Sitterud's is
binghamworld.blogspot.com and I think there's a link to her sister Carrie's blog. Just in case you wanted to catch up with CDIII

mrs. timberlake said...

dANG IT. I am so sad I missed the KISS post -----

But this one still made me laugh. Good Luck with the job - hope it all works out and they pay you twice as much because you are such a gem!

Melinders said...

Sarah-
Good Luck with the job!! I can't believe he questioned you like that. That is so crazy. I wasn't ever faced with that either. I think I lived in my own little world though.

Denys said...

I'm said I missed the KISS photo too :) I think it's awesome that you had that dude stumped. Rock-n-roll! You know Caden is your mini-me, right?! Such a cutie!